Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Love Thy Neighbor? No thanks

I've had some people asking me about our neighbor situation so I though instead of telling the story individually I would just type it out.  I will try and make this as short and not boring as possible.

Lloyd is our 80y.o. neighbor, actually he's not even our neighbor, he just owns the house his son lives in and goes to the house like 42 times a day.  Well Lloyds driveway is actually an easement and our house and one other house happen to sit on this easement as our driveway also; however, since its Lloyds "driveway" he is the one who has to maintain the easement and not anyone else, otherwise he would have never been able to have these other 2 houses built.  Our easement is gravel and after the rain and snow in 2009-2010 pot holes started to develop so Lloyd came over and asked us and the one other house on the easement if he had some rock brought in, would we be willing to pay $100 for the cost of the rock? No promblem, technically by law, we don't have to pay him anything, but why not, we use the driveway too.  

About a week later I see rock being dropped off in sections of the easement and I actually remember thinking to myself "thats not a lot of rock at all!"  Well, I leave for work and come home to find out that Lloyd had not rocked our "section" of the driveway.  Here is a picture to show what I'm talking about:

The red square is our land and B is our house.  The blue "A" at the bottom is Lloyds house and C is the other neighbors house.  The purple is where he put rock...as you can see, he skipped our section of the driveway.  

Well, I thought the reason he had not rocked our part was b/c we had not paid him yet (Thank goodness we didn't).  A few days later, Lloyd came and asked for our part of the money.  Ummm Old Man, you didn't rock our section.  His excuse was that there was asphalt on our section (there isn't) and rock would just slide off...yet he still wanted money.  NO, not gonna happen.

This was in early to mid 2010 and I just found out that he went and talked to our neighbors about how we still have not paid him (which is no surprise, Lloyd is always going over to the other neighbors house to talk about us)  He told our neighbor B that "I know Jeff would pay me, but its that wife of his that is preventing him from paying me the money for the rock; she chewed my ass one time"  

Ummmm....your darn right I chewed your ass.  I still plan on chewing your ass the next time you come over and ask us for more money.

Lloyds solution to all of this? He's going to put a "fence" up around his pond (see picture above) so we can't "use" it.  He had told us when we first moved in we could go fishing in his pond.  Hey douche-canoe, there arn't any fish in your so called "pond" anyway.  

I think the funny part in all of this is that anytime now, Lloyd will be putting down more rock from our winter this year....I'd like to see him come ask us for more money.

(I should also add as a side-story, that this is the man that tried to knock down branches of OUR tree on OUR property with a front loader.......yeah, we're really lucky to live here)

4 comments:

  1. putting a fence around the pond... cause you guys used it so much last summer... hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brie, you beat me to it. I didn't think the pond was usable and more just for looks.

    Megan, Sorry about the crazy old man.

    ReplyDelete