Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baby (food) Making Machine!

I've taken on a new task today....Baby food maker!  I had my friend Katie over (you can follow her blog here)
to make baby food for Cecelia and Caleb.  And let me tell you...

IT WAS SO EASY AND FUN!

Never in a million years would I think that making baby food is fun, but it is! I made Sweet Potatoes and Bananas and Katie made Sweet Potatoes, Apple Sauce and Bananas.  It only took us about an hour and a half to make all of it.

For those interested in making your own here is the break down:

Bananas @ $1.57/16oz = $.09 per oz (I only used 2 bananas for our food, so this is a little off)
Sweet Potatoes @ $2.98 for 2/36oz = $.08 per oz.

For a 3.5oz container of Bananas at Walgreens it is $1.99 and for a 3.5oz container of Sweet Potatoes it is also, $1.99.  I would rather take an hour and a half out of my time and save a lot of money!

All of the information I got about making my own baby food is on the website Wholesome Homemade Baby Food.  They have so much information on there its insane, its even broken down in stages and ages for baby!

Here are some picture from today!











I got 36oz from 2 sweet potatoes!

16oz from 2 bananas! 

I will for sure be making tons more baby food!!


5 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! I really want to make my own for Allyson... I'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to start making food for our little girl. I kept telling myself
    i'll start one of these days and I think I'm going to do some this weekend. Thank you for motivating me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats alot of sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bennett loved the homemade applesauce I made for him. Veggies of all kinds work really well too. It really is so easy! Once they are a little older you can do like I did and basically blend up the veggies/etc... from your dinner for them too! With some veggies you'll need to strain them before freezing (peas/green beans/etc..) the skins tend to not blend up so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make all of Mark's foods as well and I love doing it. I buy all organic fruits and veggies and its still way cheaper. I like the fact that I know exactly what he is eating and the real quality of the food.

    ReplyDelete